EXAM REGULATIONS AND, ASSESSMENT, AND GRADING
For each course taken at IUE, the student is given one of the letter grades below by the instructor as the semester course grade. Each grade has also its as ECTS grade equivalent
The table below provides the detailed information about the local letter grades, coefficients and ECTS grade equivalents.
|49 and below||FF||0.0||F|
*for these ones, the higher grade is applied
In order to be successful in a course, short cycle (associate degree) and first cycle (bachelor’s degree) students have to get a grade of at least DD, second cycle (master's degree) students have to get a grade of at least CC, and third cycle (Ph.D.) students have to get a grade of at least CB to pass a course. For courses which are not included in the cumulative GPA, students need to get a grade of S.
Apart from that, each local grade has it is equivalent ECTS grade which makes it more easier to transfer the grades of mobility periods of students. The chart above shows the ECTS grading system at IUE.
Also, among the Letter Grades;
Not Successful Progress
- Grade of I (Incomplete), is given to students who are not able to meet all the course requirements at the end of the semester or summer school due to a valid justification accepted by the instructor. Students who receive a letter grade “I” must complete their missing course requirements and receive a letter grade within one week following the date the end of semester grades or summer school grades submitted. However, in the event of special cases, this period can be extended until two weeks before the beginning of registration for the next semester, upon the recommendation of the respective Graduate School department head and the decision of that academic unit’s administrative board. Otherwise, grade of “I” will automatically become grade of FF, or grade of U.
- Grade of S (Satisfactory) is given to students who are successful in non-credited courses.
- Grade of U (Unsatisfactory) is given to students who are unsuccessful in non-credited courses.
- Grade of P (Successful Progress) is given to students, who continue to the courses that are not included in the GPA that has a period exceeding one semester, and regularly performs the academic studies for the respective semester.
- Grade of NP (Not Successful Progress) is given to students, who do not regularly perform the academic studies for the respective semester for courses that are not included in the GPA and have a period exceeding one semester.
- Grade of EX (Exempt), is given to students who are exempt from some of the courses in the curriculum.
- Grade of NI (Not included) is issued to identify the courses taken by the student in the program or programs which are not included in the GPA of the student. This grade is reported in the students’ transcripts with the respective letter grade. Such courses are not counted as the courses in the program that the student is registered to.
- Grade of W (Withdrawal) is used for the courses that the student withdraws from in the first ten weeks of the semester following the add/drop period, upon the recommendation of his/ her advisor and the permission of the instructor that teaches the course. A student is not allowed to withdraw from courses during the first two semesters of his/ her associate/undergraduate degree program and from those courses he/she has to repeat and received grade “W” before, which are not included in the grade average. A student is allowed to withdraw from one course, including double major, minor, or certificate program courses, at the most in one semester, and two courses at the most during his/ her associate degree study, and six courses during his/her undergraduate study upon the recommendation of the advisor and the permission of the instructor that teaches the course. A student has to take the course that he/she withdrew from, the first semester in which it is offered. In accordance with the protocols made between Izmir University of Economics and educational institutions or official authorities abroad, the exchange program students being educated at Izmir University of Economics may withdraw from courses upon the recommendation of International Relations Office Directorate and the permission of the instructor. In this case, the rules concerning the grade of “W” will not be applied.
- Grade “NA” (Non-Attendance) is issued by the instructor for students who fail to fulfil the attendance and/or requirements of the course and/or who lose their right to take the end of semester exam because they failed to take any of the exams administered throughout the semester. Grade “NA” is considered as 0, 00 (zero) in taking the averages.
Both the ECTS grades and the local grades of the students are displayed on the official transcript of the students.
Ata Kaan Koç featured in The Bebop Channel
The undergraduate student projects by our 2019 graduate Ata Kaan Koç, “Tight Rope” and “Walk the Dog Before I Sleep”, have been
Our students finalist at Pangram
Visual Communication Design 2nd-year students have managed to be finalists in the fourth edition of “Pangram”, an international student competition on font
Festival success of Asil Atay, the VCD graduate
Asil Atay, our graduate student of 2017, has managed to get mentions for his most recent project “Unraveled” in the official selection
“A Visual Frame / Her Mess, His Mess” Workshop
Stefano Cardini from Italy was the guest of Izmir University of Economics Visual Communication Design Department as part of the traditional workshop
Izmir University of Economics Students at Good Design 4
Balca Demirbilek, Cansu Türkoğlu, Ramazan Say, and Umut Onat, 2nd-year students from Izmir University of Economics Fine Arts and Design Faculty Visual
Another Success Story from Ata Kaan Koç
Visual Communication Design student Ata Kaan Koç has been selected semi-finalist for the 12th International Moving Film Festival that is held in
VCD in İstanbul
Izmir University of Economics Visual Communication Design Department visited Istanbul between 9-11 October 2019. Within the main objective of the field trip,
VCD participation in Good Design
The Good Design İzmir 4, which was formed within the theme of “Cycle” this year, started on October 18, 2019, Friday. Different
2018-2019 Graduation Exhibition
In the 2018-2019 Spring Semester, as is our tradition, Visual Communication Design students are tackling their self-defined design problems in various media.
All-years student projects exhibition: Fresh from the Oven
Our most recent exhibition consisting of the student works from 2018-2019 season has opened on April 30th at K2 Contemporary Art Center,
Seminar: From Label to Company
Ali Taptık and Okay Karadayılar of ONAGÖRE design initiative and company visited Visual Communication Design department on 5th of April and took
IUE Visual Communication Design Department “Which one is Hard: To Create or to Sell?” Workshop
Mehmet Gözetlik, famous multidisciplinary designer and the founder of Antrepo, conducted the workshop “Which One is Hard: To Create or to Sell?”
IUE Visual Communication Design Department “Illustrating a Photograph” Workshop
Oğuz Karakütük and Serdar Bilici of Ka Photography Development Workshop in Ankara performed a workshop themed "Illustrating a Photograph" with the students
Çelenk Bafra gives a seminar to VCD
Visual Communication Design Department hosted Çelenk Bafra, the director of SAHA Association, on February 28th, 2019.
VCD PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP AT IF WEDDING
Instructor N. Toros Mutlu of Faculty of Fine Arts and Design, Visual Communication Design department conducted a workshop in one of Europe's leading
VISUAL COMMUNICATION DESIGN STUDENT REACHES MEXICAN AUDIENCE
Ata Kaan Koc, student from the Visual Communication Design Department of Izmir University of Economics Faculty of Fine Arts and Design, has
EXHIBITIONS' CURATOR FROM FACULTY OF FINE ARTS AND DESIGN
“Dream Logic” and “Memorabilia” exhibitions, curated by Asst. Prof. Özgül Kılınçarslan of the IEU Faculty of Fine Arts and Design's Visual Communication
IUE FACULTY OF FINE ARTS & DESIGN IN DESIGN BIENNIALE
Gökhan Mura from the Department of Visual Communication Design at IUE Faculty of Fine Arts and Design exhibited his work titled “Object
Photo-zines in exhibitions
N. Toros Mutlu, instructor at Izmir University of Economics Visual Communication Design Department, will have his photo-fanzine work exhibited in two different
Can Aviral and Eda Kale win mention prize
Graduate students from Izmir University of Economics Visual Communication Design Department and the Architecture Department, Can Aviral and Eda Kale, have been
Ata Kaan Koc’s animation nominated for IMPACTFest
Izmir University of Economics Visual Communication Design Department student Ata Kaan Koc's animation movie "Not Enough Time (Tight Rope)" has been nominated
New graduates at UTAS exhibition
UTAS, an art and design exhibition for graduate projects in the universities of Izmir region, has brought the graduates from various disciplines
Trans-making project partners meet in Istanbul: Public in the Making
"Public in the Making" has taken place between 18-20 October in the various locations of Istanbul, as part of the "trans-making" project,
4th years celebrate graduation
Our recent graduates have hit the stage for the graduation ceremony on Thursday, July 5th.
A visit from TED Izmir students
A group of students from TED Izmir College have been invited to our department.
All-years student projects exhibition
Our most recent exhibition consisting of the student works from 2017-2018 season has opened on June 8th at Mavibahce Shopping Mall, reflecting
TED Eskisehir visits VCD
High-school students from TED college in Eskisehir visited our department as part of the trip to Izmir, during which they attended to
3rd grades visit Istanbul: Grafist 22, Iam Istanbul, KRAKEN, and Koff
Our third-year students Nilay Yener and Deniz Can Atal participation in a workshop as part of the 22th Istanbul Graphic Design Week,
Lak Lak: Spring 2018
Organised by our volunteered students since 2012, the first Lak Lak event in 2018 was held on May 7th to bring brief
Visual Communication Design Graduate Şizen Sabahyıldızı is in International Platforms
The Effect received two official selection and one semi-finalist reward so far.
WORLDWIDE FAMOUS DESIGNER IN İZMİR
Phil Cleaver, the guest professor of the Department of Visual Communication Design at İzmir University of Economics last week, is a world-renowned
Photobook Days at IUE
Faculty of Fine Arts and Design, Visual Communication Design department hosted the Photobook Days on 19-20 April, with guests Asst. Prof. Tuna
STREET PHOTOGRAPHS IN IZMIR CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
Students of Visual Communication Design have presented their work in the new building of Izmir Chamber of Commerce. The "street" concept combined
Izmir University of Economics, Visual Communication Design Department organizes workshops every semester hosting internationally renowned designers. In the 2016-2017 Academic Year fall
15th ANNIVERSARY EXHIBITION
As Izmir University of Economics turns fifteen on April 14th, 2016, we would like to take you on a journey through time,
T-shirt project is an output of studying period as part of VCD 132 Drawing Techniques for printing course for along years.
Visual Communication Design Workshops organized every semester to host internationally renowned designers is run by Ekmel Ertan this year.
Pecha Kucha adıyla 2003 yılında ilk kez Tokya’da düzenenlenen etkinlik aynı formatta 2012 yılından beri Görsel İletişim Tasarımı Bölümü çatısı altında ‘LAKLAK’
VCD "LEAP" EXHIBITION
With the “LEAP” exhibition the Visual Comunication Design Department proudly presents the works prepared in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th year
VCD Good Manners Workshop [October 5th-9th, 2015]
VCD “Good Manners” Workshop was realized by the Visual Communication Design department of Izmir University of Economics, between October 5th-9th, 2015 at the Faculty
VCD Press Clippings
You can find the press clippings covering the VCD department activities undertaken throughout the 2014-2015 Academic Year. http://on.fb.me/1dA4Zly
Visual brand design workshop “İzmir 2015: Expose Yourself To Life” resulted.
The visual brand design workshop “İzmir 2015: Expose Yourself To Life” which was organized by İzmir University of Economics Visual Communication Design
Visual Brand Design Workshop: "İzmir 2015: EXPOse yourself to life" by Stefano Cardini From Domus Academy
İzmir University of Economics, Faculty of Fine Arts and Design, Visual Communication Design Department will organize a workshop by Stefano Cardini, Head
Frascara and Noël Workshop / Design with and for the user: the power of ecological thinking
Between the 5th and 9th of May (2014) the VCD department proudly hosted Professor Emeritus Jorge D. Frascara and his life and
LAS MUJERES DE ALMODÓVAR WORKSHOP CONCLUDED!
Las Mujeres de Almodóvar Workshop consisted of a seminar analyzing different aspects of Pedro Almodóvar’s unique cinematographic language, screening of the movie
IZMIR WITH MARK KLETT
Between May 20th and May 24th, the department of Visual Communication Design was visited by the renowned American landscape photographer Mark Klett.
Balkan Locus-Focus International Symposium
The two-day Balkan Locus-Focus symposium sought to offer first insights on the yet silent and poorly recorded histories of communication design in